Tenor weights

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Thu Sep 12 17:57:22 BST 2002

. . . and to confound those doubting Thomases who claim that tenors
of uncertain weight get heavier with every peal: Rostherne tenor was
always supposed to be 17 or 18cwt, but hadn't been out of the tower
for centuries. When I was a lad, I always assumed this was 13cwt of
bronze and 5cwt of bravado. When I went there the other day to take
recordings, I discovered that when E&S rehung it a while ago they
found it was HEAVIER, I see it now appears in Dove as 20-0-0 (without
the cwt).

Bill H