[Bell Historians] Tenor weights

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Sep 12 18:53:02 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Pat Cannon, the legendary self-styled "tenor king", rang several tenors tha=
t suffered weight loss when actually weighed. But there was one exception -=
and a real bender it was, too. After Pat rang it, he challenged Chris Kip=
pin to ring it for a wager - which he duly won

Always reckoned to be 23 cwt, Edington actually turned out to be 24-0-24 !

CP
=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Bill Hibbert=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 5:57 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Tenor weights

. . . and to confound those doubting Thomases who claim that tenors=20
of uncertain weight get heavier with every peal: Rostherne tenor was=20
always supposed to be 17 or 18cwt, but hadn't been out of the tower=20
for centuries. When I was a lad, I always assumed this was 13cwt of=20
bronze and 5cwt of bravado. When I went there the other day to take=20
recordings, I discovered that when E&S rehung it a while ago they=20
found it was HEAVIER, I see it now appears in Dove as 20-0-0 (without=20
the cwt).

Bill H

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20