[Bell Historians] Re: Prinknash Abbey

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Sep 25 14:43:33 BST 2002

I was fortunate enough climb around the bells a few years ago. A friendly
Monk, Fr Kevin, told me that the people at Caldy got into financial
difficulties and most of the bells had to be sold. The 3rd and 7th were left
as they were hung for swinging.

The bells are simply superb in all respects. The replacement 3rd and 7th are
hung from ringing headstocks complete with plain bearings. Alas there is no
room for them to swing. The chiming apparatus leaves rather a lot to be
desired. The trebles looked quite large - didn't have a tape measure with me!

The situation at Prinknash is superb - all ready for a tower to be built and
the bells hung for ringing.......

Matthew