More on steel bells

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Mon Sep 30 21:49:03 BST 2002

Picking up on several different discussions:

> Can steel bells be tuned?
Well, there are two answers to this question. They can certainly be
put on a vertical lathe and have metal taken off (though those more
knowledgable than I might comment on whether different tools are
required for cast steel than bronze). By this means, one could align
the nominals better and perhaps gain some improvement. But based on
my limited analysis (of seven bells only), the basic shape of Naylor-
Vickers bells is not good, and there would be great limits to what
improvement could be made to the tone of individual bells.

My guess about N-V bells is that they are far too thin for their
pitch - which means that the options for the tuner are pretty
limited. This is only a guess, it would need confirmation with a
proper set of measurements and analyses. That it would be possible to
cast a true-harmonic bell I have no doubt.

> Rust has six to ten times the volume of the metal from which it was
produced

My comment to Dickon (while perched on a girder high above
Clerkenwell) was that the rate of corrosion of a square inch of a
steel bell's surface ought to be independent of the thickness of the
metal. Therefore, a big bell like the one at Clerkenwell would lose
less metal proportionately over a period of time than a smaller one.
Ergo, it will sound more like it did originally.

> Clocking as a risk to the Clerkenwell bell

Getting the clapper swinging enough to hit the bell took quite a lot
of hauling on the chain. Unlike a normal-sized clapper, holding this
one against the bell seems impossible due to its weight. So, I think
the chances of the bell cracking in this way are small.

Now, I'm off to analyse a peal of bronze bells to regain some sense
of normality . . .

Bill H