[Bell Historians] Electronic bells

john ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Tue Apr 8 21:01:58 BST 2003

Presumably Andrew you reported the instances of malpractice which you
discovered to the Secretary of the appropriate DAC and copied your letter to
the Bells Adviser?
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan J.Birney [mailto:fartwell2000 at y...]
Sent: 08 April 2003 20:39
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Electronic bells

It would seem that some parishes do not seek advice about electronic
bells and electric chiming systems with regard to the bell
installations they allready have eg.
Lancashire-chime of eight tubes,very easily refurbished at little cost
(we are talking under two hundred pounds to do the job properly). one
bell required rehanging on the frame,all frame treating,new rope on
one bell,hammers rustproofing,etc- all well within the means of
anyone in the parish with enough get and go in them.
North Yorkshire-ringable set of three bells now rendered unringable
due to electric chimimg hamers being fitted in the swinging path of
each bell-this job was done by the clock company Andrew refers to.
But what about this-about ten years ago,I was working my
way through looking at bells in the churches in Preston,Lancs.
I arranged to look at a single bell installation,but when I got
there,the bell had been removed a couple of weeks before and had been
sold.
Talking to a ringing cleric who lived in the area at that time
revelealed some amazing information-the church in question had no
permission to remove the bell and sell it,nor had they applied for
permission. The information had been kept in the parish until my
visit.
What a waste,a bell that was deralict sold for a few hundred pounds
scrap value.
Alan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com