Gloucester, St John

David & Mary Kelly bells at k...
Sun Apr 13 16:21:45 BST 2003

The old 4th bell went to St George, Tuffley, Gloucester but was never installed. In 2001 the church authorities contacted the Keltek Trust as they wished to dispose of the bell. As it was a useful size and weight we also wanted to acquire it. We suggested that they make contact with the DAC bells adviser (Mary Bliss) and that was the last we heard until we were told that the bell was going to be sent to Tanzania; presumably the Gloucester Diocese had a request for a bell and they decided to send this one.

We enquired if we could swap it with another bell on our available lists but this offer was not taken up.

It's sad for a useful ringing bell to end up being used for chiming!

Dave

---