[Bell Historians] FW: Looking For Bell History.

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Sat Apr 19 02:55:10 BST 2003

Replying to the list (since the topic is appropriate) and to the
inquirer (who sent me a similar message directly)...

The Buckeye Bell Foundry was begun by George Washington Coffin in
1837. It went through several changes of ownership before finally
closing in 1951. So far as I know, all bells made by this foundry
were bronze, not brass (nor iron). They cast the heaviest bell ever
made in North America, as well as a number of chimes; a list of these
(with links to individual pages) can be found at
http://www.gcna.org/data/IXfoundryVanduzen.html

The initial "G" is often misread as "C" because the difference
between the two characters is subtle in the octagonal-cut sans-serif
font which Coffin used for the inscriptions on many of his bells.
During the period when the Kemper Academy bell was made, Coffin was
producing the most highly decorated bells ever to come out of any
American bellfoundry. Typically, the lettering cited by Mr. Kohrs
would be found in three panels in the shoulder band, alternating with
three panels of sculpture, most likely showing cherubs in a
schoolroom. Below these six panels would be one or more repeating
patterns around the lower edge of the shoulder band. The waist of
the bell might be plain, but often it displayed a freestanding motif
in relief, repeated a dozen or more times around the bell (the number
of repetitions depending on the size of the bell).

An estimate of the value of the bell cannot be given without knowing
its size and condition.

At least 8 bells from the same bellfounder and of comparable age
survive in the St.Louis area. I look forward to the opportunity to
see the Kemper Academy bell for comparison, and invite direct
correspondence toward that end.

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
Avocation: tower bells: http://www.gcna.org/ (Co-Webmaster)