[Bell Historians] Taunton St James tenor

David Bryant david at b...
Sat Aug 2 14:05:39 BST 2003

"It's interesting that Taunton tenor is a "nasty-sounding old bucket"
(I've not heard the bell myself), while Chris Dalton describes its
brother at Loders as "one of the loveliest-sounding bells in the
county, having a warm mellow tone and nearly true harmonics." Perhaps
Whitechapel's tuning machine worked a miracle at Loders?"

Yes, maybe. Three of the St James bells are apparently cracked in the crown
(not sure which - I didn't look for cracks when I examined them). If it was
up to me I'd have them rehung lower in the tower, weld the cracks, tune the
back six and recast the trebles, but I doubt if the present band of ringers
will get anything done (and it needs doing - the fittings are knackered), or
if they do it'll probably be a rehang with part new fittings in the existing
frame. They're a rancid ring of bells - on a par with their near neighbours
at St Mary's!

By the way, have you updated any of your listings which I've got on the bell
historians site? If so, I'm quite happy to post updated versions, and
anything else you want to put online.

Cheers