St Mark's, Preston

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Sat Aug 2 22:34:20 BST 2003

Just got back from holiday, someone asked about this peal of six a
while ago.

I got access to the tower sometime in the 1980s, after the bells were
removed but long before the church was converted into flats. At that
time the frame was still in place, together with most of the
fittings. I wrote a letter to the RW about it describing my illicit
visit, to which Cyril Crossthwaite replied with an RW letter
containing details of the bells etc. I don't recall the date of the
correspondence other that that it was January (or early February), in
the mid 80s. I'm sure someone with an RW index can oblige.

The structure of the tower, mostly windows with the bells right at
the top, led to the most alarming tower sway and the bells were never
pealed, I think.

My connection with this tower is a succession of co-incidences. We
have non-ringing friends who live in Preston. I first saw the tower
on the skyline while visiting them, and got a puncture in the street
outside the church while checking it out. Since then, the friends
have moved to this very street, I was staying with them on the
occasion of my breakin. They still live there, next to the tower. On
my next visit (late August) I will see if I can get access to the
tower or at least details of what remains of the fittings.

Bill H