[Bell Historians] St Giles, Cheadle and RC rings

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Wed Aug 6 00:39:14 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Pickford"
<c.j.pickford at t...> wrote:
> Okay, Jim - I'll act as your virtual memory on this one. You wrote
to the RW about Speke and Ditton Hall in 1970, and your letter is in
RW 18 Sept.1970 p.734.

> Ditton Hall are a Blews six of 1878 (hence my interest, and why
the reference wasn't hard to find), inscriptions and diameters 1
St.Raphael (29.5"), 2 St.Gabriel (32.5"), 3 St.Michael (35"), 4
St.Bartholomew (36.5"), 5 St.Joseph (40"), and 6 The Great Mother of
God, Mary Most Holy (44.5") - key between E and F. Hung for ringing,
but derelict.

> I understand the frame has been altered/vandalised here-but to
what extent and is there not some kind of ruling that the bells will
not be rung due to some kind of trust fund? If the bells are rung
the church will stop recieving lump sums of money? These are localsih
(lancashire rumors) I have heard
I find it very strange that the six appear never to have been
rung. I have not seen the bells, but from memory the tower look
quite sturdy I also understood that the bells cannot be rung due to
a nursing home being very close by.
Alan