Firing the bells

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Aug 7 19:35:45 BST 2003

---
One of the most 'spectacular' sounds I have ever heard was when the
twelve at Liverpool Cathedral were fired with the bourdon booming out.
The occasion was Dean Patey's daughter's wedding. Dean Patey was to
become somewhat anti - bells and would not sanction the purchase of
new ropes!

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Povey" <cmpovey at 3...> wrote:
> Malcolm Bland asked about firing at weddings. This is still done at
a number of towers in the North Cotswolds and the Vale of Evesham,
although probably not quite so much as 30-40 years ago. There are
three firing sessions, all consecutive (ie the bells aren't stood in
between), and each session consists of 'rounds, cross (Queens) and
fire'. The number of firings per session is certainly not seven,
because that would end at the wrong stroke, and it's usually a few
more. After the last fire, the bells are brought into rounds, the
trebles pulling in as quickly as possible and the tenors holding up.
The firing is only done after the wedding and it is the first thing
to be rung. Firing is supposed to bring good luck to the couple.

> Firing is OK when it's good firing; when it's ragged, it's very
poor. There is some satisfaction in getting some good bangs. The
photographers normally don't like firing, because just as they are
telling the wedding party to get into order for a photo, there's a
big noise and he has to repeat the instruction. It has been known for
a photographer to storm into a (ground floor) ringing room and demand
that the ringing stops.