[Bell Historians] Firing the bells

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Fri Aug 8 10:41:52 BST 2003

His Excellency:
"We still fire the bells at weddings here at St Mary de Castro, Leicester.
All very precise and effective, though I don't think it does my spire much
good !"

Now I know that this is completely off topic (but then a lot of stuff on
this list is), but does firing really put pressure on towers? Or is it a
myth? I guess it depends on the frame configuration.

"At Canterbury Cathedral probably well before 1980, we used to fire the old
twelve ar least when ringing in the New Year."

Ah yes ... I used to ring Grandsire Cinques there too... :)

DrL