Re (2): [Bell Historians] Use of Hastings Stays

s.ivin at n... s.ivin at n...
Wed Aug 13 08:30:13 BST 2003

DJB:

> Don't some of the bells at St Thomas, Oxford, have them? No doubt Steve Ivin
> can tell us.

The bells added in 1993 (1-3 + tenor) have Hastings stays. I prefer them
because they are frictionless - and indeed inertia-less(?) - which is
helpful on small bells. So far I have balked at fitting them to non-
socketed headstocks, which is what 4-9 are fitted with (RHS fabrications),
partly because of geometry uncertainty and partly because it's a constant
battle to keep them vertical, particularly in this sort of weather!

Unfortunately the extra cost ruled them out at St Mary Mag, where the
front 6 have socketed headstocks.

Steve