The tiresome fourth

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Sun Aug 17 22:02:07 BST 2003

Chris Dalton's post on Downside / Beverley, and a correspondent
sending me a recording of Petersglocke at Cologne (a repeat, I
already had one) made me think more about the tiresome fourth. This
is barely bell history, purists move on now . . .

Not all big bells have a fourth secondary strike, some have a major
third. I went quickly through the 17 biggest bells in my collection,
estimating the secondary strike. In big Russian bells (the chime at
Rostov) it is very difficult to estimate the pitches, the sound is
percussive rather than musical. Most other bells have a strident
fourth. However, Petersglocke at Cologne, Gloriosa at Erfurt and
Great Paul at St Paul's have a major third secondary strike. The
combination of a major third secondary strike and true-harmonic lower
partials sounds to me fantastic. Once I had identified the bells with
this characteristic it was quite unpleasant to listen to bells with a
strident fourth (including all the other big Taylor bells, including
Great Bede and Great John).

I don't have recordings of any of the big G&J bells. If anyone has
some and is willing to share I'd love to hear from you off-line.

Bill H