[Bell Historians] Poona (India)

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Tue Aug 19 23:53:13 BST 2003

--- I accept that some towers have bells that are too heavy for
them.As David says there are lots of them, though the situation could
have been changed at Oldham in 1922. My examples may be extreme but
Southfleet, Baldersby and Star Street were virtually useless for
ringing. I am aware that there were four peals at Star Street. If I
remember correctly, Baldersby and Southfleet were abandoned after the
dedications. St. Lukes Derby and Oldham have both supported local
bands with many peals rung on them. My question remains - why were
useless bells supplied to places like Baldersby?
I hope that Christopher Dalton may be able to bring his views
concerning Star Street, where he had an interest.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...> wrote:
> > Whilst it is understandable that Taylors should supply this ring
of
> > bells, unaware of the condition of the tower so far removed from
> > their view, the same excuse can not be used for the supply of the
> > rings at Baldersby, St. Michael Star Street Paddington and the
Goslin
> > six in North Kent, the name of which escapes me.
> > Any ideas why such unsuitable rings were supplied other than for
> > commercial gain, with complete disregard for the usefulness of
same.

> I seem to recall reading something in the RW about the Poona bells
within
> the last few years - I think it said that they haven't (and never
appear to
> have had) any pulley boxes fitted, so they can't have been rung.
>
> As regards rings too big for the tower; it was rather a Victorian
> speciality, and they generally hung them as high up as possible. The
> examples you give are extreme, but there are plenty of other rings
far
> heavier than anyone would dare put in their tower today - e.g. St
Luke's,