Pat Cannon at Poona.

jim phillips jim at p...
Wed Aug 20 09:32:22 BST 2003

Bill Hibbert wrote:-
>I have heard this story, but about Lahore. I only have a very vague
>memory of it and can't provide any provenance. Having seen Lahore, I
>could imagine it was feasible. The church guide-book says the tower
>swayed considerably when the bells were rung after installation,
>implying they were rung full circle then.

It could well have been Lahore as I heard the story many years ago. English
towers also sway i.e. The Imperial Institute.
How much does a tower have to sway before it falls down? Is it true that
the bells will 'drop' first and become uncontrollable thus restoring the
equilibrium to the structure. Would an hour of perfect striking bring the
'Institute' tower down. It seems to me that the Institute tower does not
enjoy prolonged perfect striking and protests at same by 'dropping' the
bells. Foot bridges used to be tested by marching soldiers 'in step' over
the bridge.
Which tower was it that collapsed years ago after the ringing had finished
and the ringers were outside of the tower? Are bell towers regularly
inspected for any signs of potential collapse? The boilers of steam engines
are certainly inspected at regular intervals and failed if a potential
problem is found.