Valletta

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Mon Aug 25 18:31:09 BST 2003

---Sarah and I went there at Easter this year. The bells were
installed as a ring of six bells, Whitechapel 1840's if I remember
correctly. Whether or not they were ever rung as such I don't know.
They have subsequently been rehung for chiming only. The tower is
very lofty but quite substantial. I believe that this is another
place where Servicemen have managed to ascend the tower and inspect
the bells. Someone with RW's and an index would be able to help.
We also went to listen to the Siege Bell on a couple of the
designated ringing times - stony silence. The chains to the motors
appeared to be somewhat dry, which leads to speculation that it
hasn't rung for some time.

Gleaning information from various sources, the attitude that prevails
is 'Oh it is broken. We must get round to getting it fixed.'
There were quite a lot of disappointed people about!!!!

I understand that Taylors are supplying some very big bells to Gozo
(Cathedral?) Perhaps those with the information could enlighten the
rest of us.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David & Mary Kelly" <bells at k...>
wrote:
> There has been mention recently regarding the bells at Poona and
Lahore. I visited Lahore a few years ago and it looked to me that the
bells had certainly been swung high enough to show light clapper
indentations on both sides of the bells. It wouldn't surprise me that
they had at some stage been rung full-circle.