Topcliffe

DAVIESM at G... DAVIESM at G...
Tue Aug 26 08:56:52 BST 2003

>>Also how practical would it be to hang the bells(even if it was only the
front four) for Veronese style full circle ringing?

Whilst I guess this is possible I''m not sure if this is practical. There
is some measured subsidence in one of the corners of the tower (not sure
which)

>>Also, the four at nearby Topcliffe are unringable-I have heard that the
tower was the main concern, but what sort of state are they in
and whom are the bells by?<<

These are certainly unringable, mainly due to the condition of the
wheels, but the installation is not too far gone and could be made
ringable. There is a restoration scheme under discussion at the moment . I
have some details of the bells (from a local history article)

1. "Jesus be our Speed", 1622,
2. "Jesus be our Speed" 1620
3 "Deus salvet ecclesiam suam, 1725, s.s. Ebor" Samuel Smith of York 1725
4 "All ye that heare my mournful sound, repent before ye lye in ground",
1664. Recast Warners 1880.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Davies
Italik Limited

Phone : 01943 854000
Fax : 01943 854001
http://www.italik.co.uk

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal,
professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee,
you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance of this
transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us as soon as
possible.