[Bell Historians] digital recordings and other things

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Dec 18 14:15:38 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I'd forgotten that I turfed Jim off St Dunstan's tenor: one of the "nicetie=
s" :)

I am, pretty certain that we have discussed Star Street on this page before=
. However, and very briefly, they were last rung in 1933 according to RHD, =
which is just before JT&Co put in the Ellacombe.

I visited the ruined church of St Michael, Star Street several times, and t=
ook details. On 4th November 1966 we did ring one of the 4 bells in the top=
tier up - the 3rd, I think - and there was sufficient visible movement fro=
m outside to convince us that even that was a risky undertaking.=20

I would be very surprised to hear that the bells had been rung after 1933; =
more especially after the bombing had compromised the tower stability of th=
e tower; and cerrtainly after c1962 when kids got in and set the clock room=
alight. Several of the bell wheels were severely damaged.

I think that the JP recording of St Dunstan's is the only one, and I had un=
derstood that someone was going to "clean it up" and make it available.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20