[Bell Historians] digital recordings and other things

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Dec 18 19:11:37 GMT 2003

I support what David says concerning the ringing at Star Street.
Around the time that I was in Canterbury(1966-1970) there was ringing
arranged at a number of London 'unringables' - Prebend Street,
Islington, Shadwell, Walworth, Hammersmith, Pimlico(10) Bermondsey
etc. I believe that these activities were organised by the same
group of people. I also understood that attempts were made at Star
SStreet, but as David says, the tower movement was alarming and only
small combinations of bells were rung. Hence my surprise at reading
that there was a recording of them.---

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dcawley at w...>
wrote:
> I'd forgotten that I turfed Jim off St Dunstan's tenor: one of
the "niceties" :)

> I am, pretty certain that we have discussed Star Street on this
page before. However, and very briefly, they were last rung in 1933
according to RHD, which is just before JT&Co put in the Ellacombe.

> I visited the ruined church of St Michael, Star Street several
times, and took details. On 4th November 1966 we did ring one of the
4 bells in the top tier up - the 3rd, I think - and there was
sufficient visible movement from outside to convince us that even
that was a risky undertaking.

> I would be very surprised to hear that the bells had been rung
after 1933; more especially after the bombing had compromised the
tower stability of the tower; and cerrtainly after c1962 when kids
got in and set the clock room alight. Several of the bell wheels were
severely damaged.

> I think that the JP recording of St Dunstan's is the only one, and
I had understood that someone was going to "clean it up" and make it
available.

> DLC

excessively
> keen to ring at the London towers. Until that time I had only
rung
> at St. Martin in the Fields (badly), although Dennis Beresford
was
> very kind to me; and at Stepney. I had listened to Bow and St.
> Clement Danes on a Lord Mayor's Show day and had been impressed
with
> the standard of ringing and quality of the bells.
> To everyone's surprise, and delight St. Dunstan in the East were
> opened for ringing. This was the occasion when I was introduced
> one of the niceties of London ringing. You don't catch hold of a
> bell in some places until you are asked to do so. No such
niceties
> where I came from, where you could catch hold for anything you
could
> ring - and things you couldn't. I remember well David Cawley
turfing
> me off the tenor for Stedman Triples and Ranald being asked to
ring
> it. My indignity was restored somewhat when David kindly asked
me to
> ring in the next touch.
> This is where, wearing my full body armour, flack jacket, and tin
> hat, I poke my head above the parapet to state that the bells
that
> most impressed me that day were Cripplegate.
> John Pladdys has a rather poor recording of St. Dunstan's, so I
will
> be pleased to have my memory refreshed. I just hope that
technology
> is not used to enhance what the sound actually was.
> My other lasting memory of the day was scrounging a lift to St.
> Dunstan's with George Bonham and his friend in a bubble car!
>

> On another matter, I am pleased that Nigel Taylor was so kind as
> make comment about Liverpool Cathedral tenor. Thank you. I
eagerly
> await further comment about the initial question.
>

> This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing
List. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-
unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com