Heaviest peal of triples

Mike Chester mike at m...
Wed Dec 31 13:30:01 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, david at b... wrote:
> Can any ringing historian confirm whether the 1984 peal on the back
8 at York Minster still stands as the record for the heaviest single-
handed peal of triples?
> David

A quick look on the Felstead database shows

St Pauls, peals on less than 12 bells, 0 - what a surprise!

Exeter, peals of Grandsire Triples were rung on 8/2/08, 5/5/23,
7/7/51, 12/1/52 & 13/12/75. The 1951 peal was not accepted by the
CCCBR, anyone know why? As these were rung before 1984 and that no-
one has challenged the claim that the York peal is the heaviest rung
single-handed can we assume that these were rung with 2 ringers on
the tenor or on the light 8?

Liverpool - two peals of triples. I am confident that these were rung
on the light 8.

Mike