[Bell Historians] Re: Heaviest peal of triples

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Dec 31 13:35:10 GMT 2003

> A quick look on the Felstead database shows
>
> St Pauls, peals on less than 12 bells, 0 - what a surprise!
>
> Exeter, peals of Grandsire Triples were rung on 8/2/08, 5/5/23,
> 7/7/51, 12/1/52 & 13/12/75. The 1951 peal was not accepted by the
> CCCBR, anyone know why? As these were rung before 1984 and that no-
> one has challenged the claim that the York peal is the heaviest rung
> single-handed can we assume that these were rung with 2 ringers on
> the tenor or on the light 8?
>
> Liverpool - two peals of triples. I am confident that these were rung
> on the light 8.

Thanks. There was a write-up in the RW at the time of the York peal, so at that time it was definitely the heaviest single-handed triples. The earlierpeals at Exeter must be as you say, light eight or with a strapper. On thesame day as the York peal an attempt was made at Exeter, but the tenor ringer gave up.

David
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime