[Bell Historians] G&J - and Port Sunlight - again

Mark Humphreys mark.humphreys at b...
Mon Feb 3 19:57:56 GMT 2003

charset="us-ascii"

I must say, you could be forgiven for thinking they'd not been tuned if
you've ever rung there. Not the finest, I'm afraid!

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pickford [mailto:c.j.pickford at t...]
Sent: 03 February 2003 19:48
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] G&J - and Port Sunlight - again

Thanks for the link, from which it's clear that the bells were removed
from the tower, retuned and rehung in 1951 - not just a gudgeons and
bearings job as I suggested in my earlier posting. Full details now
added to my file on late Gillett work, thanks to Peter and Mark
Humphreys and the website.

This job is not recorded in the surviving G&J tuning records - which
covers most of the work of 1951 - which led me to suspect that the bells
might not have been tuned. There are some cases where bells were rehung
and weighed - but NOT retuned - where no details are recorded in the
books (e.g. Tredington, Warwicks; Salisbury, St.Thomas).

For those new to the list, it might be worth explaining that for some
years I've been building up a file on late Gillett work - especially
information from Gillett's belfry notices - covering the final period
of the firm's existence, 1951-1957. The main series of tuning books is
now in the Archives at Croydon Central Library, but the final volume no
longer exists. There is a copy of my file (recently updated) at Croydon
Library with the other archive material.

CP