Pitch and Temperament

jwalton22rg <je.walton@v...> je.walton at v...
Wed Feb 12 13:18:12 GMT 2003

I have been following the recent thread with much interest. Thank
you to all who have contributed - I have learned a lot!

I have also been trying to relate my new found knowledge to our bells
at Wooburn which, following tuning are a very nice equally tempered
octave in E (659Hz).

However, I am intrigued as to how the bells would have been tuned as
a ring previously, having been cast over a period of 200 years (1718-
1902). All bar one were cast in London (less than 30 miles as the
crow flies), and of those six at Whitechapel. To my knowledge, none
of the bells left Wooburn after being delivered.

My question, therefore, is this: How would the founder have blended
his creation in with the rest of the peal?

One of the possible solutions that I can think of is that the founder
(master tuner?) would have visited Wooburn and made some measurements
using tuning forks. I can think of no other way in which data of
sufficent accuracy could be conveyed to allow a reasonable result to
have been achieved.

There certainly would have been some moving of the goal posts over
the years - as an example, the tenor, re-cast in 1762, joined five
earlier bells in the tower, only one of which now remains. As
measured prior to tuning, it sounded 689Hz, rather closer to F(-24)
than E(+76). Is this as a result of the bells it was originally
designed to complement?

As an added twist, the final bell in the peal was cast in Dublin. I
would imagine it is highly unlikely that Murphy or one of his
colleagues came over (he obtained the work through the Irish brother
in law of the local lord of the manor). Interestingly, I note that
this bell is 14 cents sharp of the ideal for a bell tuned to the just
temperament, in relation of the tenor, which makes it an exact fit on
the equal temperament scale! Is this a co-incidence or was Murphy
using equal temperament in 1869?

I look forward to having my theories upheld or, more likely, blown
out of the water!

John