Pitch and Temperament

Mike Chester <mike@m...> mike at m...
Wed Feb 12 16:48:41 GMT 2003

 > However, I am intrigued as to how the bells would have been tuned
as
> a ring previously, having been cast over a period of 200 years
(1718-
> 1902). All bar one were cast in London (less than 30 miles as the
> crow flies), and of those six at Whitechapel. To my knowledge,
none
> of the bells left Wooburn after being delivered.

The story that I've been told, and again I stand be be corrected, is
that a 3 bell tower in Cambridgeshire, I think it is Great Catworth,
were wanting to augment to 4 and received a communication from the
foundry to ask "What note is the treble". On being told it was A
they cast a bell in A. The parish thought they wanted to know the
note of the existing treble and therefore the bells sound A A G F!

Can anyone confirm this?

Mike