[Bell Historians] Re: Pitch and Temperament

David Cawley dave at d...
Thu Feb 13 09:24:36 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

They were not alone.

In 1861 the ring of eight at Hythe, Kent, was augmented to ten with bells c=
ast by George Mears but ordered by and supplied by George Stockham the cele=
brated handbell founder. The two trebles were cast to agree with the trebl=
e of the existing eight. Many are the stories connected therewith, not lea=
st the ensuing lawsuit which was recalled in the RW some years ago. The of=
fending trebles were removed in 1891. Hythe are again a ten, several recast=
ings later. For a fascinating and well presented account visit Dickon's Ch=
urch Bells of Kent site.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: mailto:jwalton22rg <je.walton at v...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 5:41 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Pitch and Temperament

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester <mike at m...>"=20
<mike at m...> wrote:
>=20
> The story that I've been told, and again I stand be be corrected,=20
is=20
> that a 3 bell tower in Cambridgeshire, I think it is Great=20
Catworth,=20
> were wanting to augment to 4 and received a communication from the=20
> foundry to ask "What note is the treble". On being told it was A=20
> they cast a bell in A. The parish thought they wanted to know the=20
> note of the existing treble and therefore the bells sound A A G F!
>=20
> Can anyone confirm this?
>=20
> Mike

I've heard that story too - and I've heard the bells. I'm sure=20
someone will be able to confirm where it was for us. It was very=20
disconcerting, as they are an extremely close match.

Assuming Mike is right, and that the bells are at Great Catworth, can=20
someone provide details of the bells?

John

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20