Pitch and Temperament

jwalton22rg <je.walton@v...> je.walton at v...
Wed Feb 12 17:41:03 GMT 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester <mike at m...>"
<mike at m...> wrote:

> The story that I've been told, and again I stand be be corrected,
is
> that a 3 bell tower in Cambridgeshire, I think it is Great
Catworth,
> were wanting to augment to 4 and received a communication from the
> foundry to ask "What note is the treble". On being told it was A
> they cast a bell in A. The parish thought they wanted to know the
> note of the existing treble and therefore the bells sound A A G F!
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Mike

I've heard that story too - and I've heard the bells. I'm sure
someone will be able to confirm where it was for us. It was very
disconcerting, as they are an extremely close match.

Assuming Mike is right, and that the bells are at Great Catworth, can
someone provide details of the bells?

John