[Bell Historians] technical question

David Cawley dave at d...
Fri Feb 14 00:16:28 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

We fitted these light bearings at St Alphege, Whitstable (back 6, WBF 1969,=
trebles 1974), and they've given 30 years of trouble free service, despite=
looking pretty basic. Mind you, the tenor is only 3-1-13; and Phil Jakema=
n is the steeplekeeper.

I was told last year that this was Whitechapel's first equal tempremant rin=
g - something I didn't know when we paid for it! The treble of the six (wh=
ich only had about 2 inches of cutting in the soundbow was less successful =
than its bearings. After the two trebles were added, which at the time wer=
e I think the lightest bells that WBF had hung for ringing, the deficiencie=
s of what was now the 3rd in 8 were even more apparent, so the foundry kind=
ly exchanged it for a new bell.

The only other trouble we had was predictable, getting the clappering of th=
e front 3 of the 8 right which was achieved by the provision of "medieval c=
lappers".

Certainly the bells go well and there is no sign yet of bearing fatigue.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: matthewhigby at a...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] technical question

In a message dated 13/02/03 20:04:49 GMT Standard Time, djb122 at y...=
writes:

One of the towers which I look after has got 4 of the bells hung on
light-duty ball bearings with open sided housings. The bells are of cou=
rse
quite light (tenor 5 cwt). Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy =
of
this type of bearing is? They're not showing any signs of trouble at th=
moment, but they don't really look very long-lasting and I don't want a=
ny
unexpected problems!

The self lube pillow block housings, most often used with light bells (an=
d indeed some heavy ones - Cheddar until recently) are easily replaceable d=
ue to their simple method of fixing and small cost compared with the SKF Sp=
lit housing type of bearing.=20
The method of fixing can vary from small grub screws to tapered sleves or=
an offset O type ring on the outside.

For example, we recently bought the following 25mm bore bearings from a l=
ocal stockist:

RHP self lube with cast iron housings =A314.85 + VAT (Complet=
e Unit)
Koyo copies (which we have used for swing chime and very light bells) =A3=
6.32 + VAT (Complete Unit).=20
SKF Split housing with self aligning ball bearings =A347.00 + VAT.

The 4cwt 6 at Westwood (1981 WBF) are fitted with similar bearings and ar=
e still going very well indeed. St Edmunds Arts Centre, Salisbury (tenor & =
7th) appear to be going well on their 50mm self lube units.

Matthew=20
This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20