Red Brick Universities

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Fri Feb 28 11:20:59 GMT 2003

Ben:
> As
> another aside, AIUI the
> Victoria Building is what started the term "red
> brick university".)

I was told that it was Birmingham University that gave
rise to this term, though the buildings are a bit
newer than the Victoria Building in Liverpool - for
some reason 1905 sticks in the mind, but I haven't yet
found anything on the web to confirm this. The
university website certainly promotes the myth, but
with nothing to substantiate it either.

Obviously I would be delighted to see this accolade
bestowed on my university rather than my sister's...
;-)

Does anyone actually know where the phrase originated?

MPAW.

=====