[Bell Historians] Re: Obscure questions of the week

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Jan 9 16:01:26 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

The cast iron stock on the old tenor more likely dates from 1907 than 1881.=
The photo was taken when the bells were removed for recasting in the 1930=
s.

The stock on the "new" tenor looks no less interesting

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Wilby=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Obscure questions of the week

I would guess it dates from the M & S rehang and augmentation in 1881; I =
believe that the photograph is the bells before despatch at that date. One =
wonders if it made the bell easier or harder than a conventional wooden sto=
ck?=20

--- David Bryant wrote:=20
---
> Speaking of headstocks, has anyone noticed the amazing metal
> headstock on the old tenor of St Mary le Bow, as shown in the photo
> on both Diccon's London website and Micheal's Rings of Twelve
> website ?

I had noticed it. Anyone know who made it? is it fabricated or cast? It's
difficult to tell from the picture.

David

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20

---
With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits =
your needs