[Bell Historians] Elphick on Whitechapel

Mrthigby at a... Mrthigby at a...
Mon Jan 13 09:31:32 GMT 2003

In a message dated 12/01/03 22:31:15 GMT Standard Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> Talking of Whitechapel tuning, what do people think of Alan Hughes'
> letter in the RW a couple of weeks ago regarding the tuning of old-style
> bells. One of the rings he mentions in it has recently come under fire
> on the Yorkshire Ringers' list, with one contributor being rather less
> than complimentary about them.
>
> What's the view of list members on the practice of matching old bells in
> a ring?

I rang a quarter peal at Painswick yesterday, which was the first time I had
heard the new trebles. The achostics at Painswick are really bad - thay sound
like a jet plain flying over, all seeming to merge into one sound. However, I
have to say even though they are old style bells, I was very impressed with
the result. They sound no different to the Rudhall back 10 and are very
audible - even amongst the general mush of the others. They handle very well
too.

Matthew