[Bell Historians] Elphick on Whitechapel

DJ Bryant djb122 at y...
Mon Jan 13 11:21:49 GMT 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 Mrthigby at a... wrote:

> I rang a quarter peal at Painswick yesterday, which was the first time I had
> heard the new trebles. The achostics at Painswick are really bad - thay sound
> like a jet plain flying over, all seeming to merge into one sound. However, I
> have to say even though they are old style bells, I was very impressed with
> the result. They sound no different to the Rudhall back 10 and are very
> audible - even amongst the general mush of the others. They handle very well
> too.

As I recall, the acoustics are optimised for the light ten. It was a few
years ago that I rang there and I can't really remember what the trebles
were like. I do remember that I though the extra treble was a poor match
to the others, though. Have you seen Bill's analysis of them on his site?

As to the go, they're on Taylor fittings, including bar headstocks, of
1899, apart from the bearings which were replaced by Taylor's in 1980.