St. Mary's, Oatlands Park, Surrey

editor at r... editor at r...
Mon Jan 13 16:34:51 GMT 2003

I remember reading somewhere that the bells (12cwt Warner 8) at St. Mary's,
Oatlands Park in Surrey were originally cast for use at the 'Delhi Durbar'
- the enthronement ceremony of King George V as Emperor of India in 1911.

There was some problem and the bells never made it to India - I believe
they were then bought by a London showman and used for a year or two in
various live performances (possibly at Earls Court or Olympia). The Vicar
of Oatlands Park apparently went to one of these shows and made a
successful bid for the bells when it closed.

Does anyone have further information or references on this story please?

Robert