[Bell Historians] Castlemorton

jimhedgcock <jameshedgcock@h...> jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Jan 22 00:02:52 GMT 2003

There is a 1948 Taylor treble on the front of an old five at Bilton,
Rugby.
I never thought that this fitted well.
Perhaps Mike Chester/Chris Pickford will know if anything was done to
the old five when they were restored and augmented or was any
attempt made to blend in the new treble?--

- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...>
wrote:
> Chris Povery wrote:
>
> > Castlemorton may have sounded odd, but probably not quite as odd
as a ring
> of 6 near me. Toddington, Glos, had a
> > complete ring of 5 by Thomas Rudhall, dated 1773, until 1909,
when Taylors
> merely added a new treble in a new upper
> > frame. This bell must be Harmonically-tuned, because it and the
> Rudhall-tuned back 5 do not mix. I have never stayed long
> > enough there to find out! It takes a long time to get even
partially used
> to this ring. It is very hard on the ears, particularly if > one is
lucky
> enough to be used to some of Taylors' finest offerings. Have you
any tonal
> analyses of these bells, David
> > (Bagley)?
>
> If its of 1909 the treble is sure to be harmonically tuned. At
Angersleigh
> near Taunton there was a similar situation, where Taylor's added a
treble to
> an old four in 1911, which didn't match at all. The bells were
restored in
> the mid-1990s, and the treble removed and replaced with two second-
hand C&G
> Mears bells. They've made a very pleasant-sounding old-style six.
The 1911