Using tuning forks

Bill Hibbert <bill@h...> bill at h...
Mon Jan 27 23:34:45 GMT 2003

CSZ:

> Has anyone ever done experiments to compare
> tuning fork methodologies with EFMD methodologies?

In every comparison I have done, of bells whose frequencies I've
measured electronically, against the original tuning records measured
with either with forks (typically a century ago), or with the modern
electronic methods used by the founders, I have found no difference
worth the mentioning. The only exception to this is doublets, where
sometimes the founders tune one half, when the other is more audible
in the tower.

> Which methodologies require the use of the
> human ear, and how do they compare with
> methodologies which don't? What about transient
> frequencies versus resonant frequencies?

What the measurement of individual partial frequencies with forks or
electronics will not tell you is whether the overall sound of the
bell is 'better' or 'worse'. Several factors affect this, such as the
relative partial intensity and duration, the frequencies of higher
partials etc. The tower makes a big difference too.

Also, knowing the frequencies of the 'Simpson' partials will not tell
you, except in the grossest terms, whether a bell will match others
in a peal.

Steve Ivin:

> It is not completely established that the
> pitch when the bell is 'driven' by the probe
> is exactly the same as the bell struck with
> a clapper however.

I would say that it is conclusively proved that the pitch of a bell
struck with a clapper is _not_ the same as any of the frequencies
detected when a bell is driven with a probe - because the pitch is
affected by more than one partial. Were I not busy starting a new
job, I would be completing the work to demonstrate this to the
satisfaction of all . . .

Bill H