Using tuning forks

Bill Hibbert <bill@h...> bill at h...
Tue Jan 28 23:16:40 GMT 2003

WAH:

> In every comparison I have done, of bells
> whose frequencies I've measured electronically,
> against the original tuning records etc. etc.

Jim Phillips:

> Therefore what you are saying is that it
> should be possible, with modern electronic
> aids, to routinely churn out octaves with the
> tonal quality of Chewton Mendip and Jewry.

If that is the impression I conveyed then I did not express myself
well. I agree with you - not perhaps about the forks :-)- but that
founders over the past century have turned out true-harmonic peals
which sound rather different from one another. Some people like one
style of bell, some another. The differences, though they might be
explicable from measurements, are probably best judged by ear.

Jim again:

> it is obvious that somewhere something has
> been lost. What is it?

No lost, so much as changed, as I have said in previous posts.

I'm happy to try to explain what I think the differences are, but to
avoid the wrath of our moderator, and as this subject has a very
tenuous link with bell history, we ought to take it off-line.

Bill H