Best 10s

alantaylor alantaylor at v...
Wed Jan 29 16:49:57 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

My vote for the best 10s must go to St Luke's, Chelsea and St Mary Abbots, =
Kensington. Surely no ringer would disagree with this? Such melody and swee=
tness of tone has never been surpassed. These gems must have been tuned wit=
h the finest tuning forks ever made. The bells of York Minster sound like t=
in canes when placed against such delights.

A runner up to the above might be Imperial College.

Alan Taylor
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mike Chester <mike at m...>=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 4:35 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Using tuning forks.

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Simon Farrar <simon at m...>=20
wrote:
> I'm currently doing my own research into the best tens. I took a=20
peal band
> to Loughborough Parish last year, and have got both Abergavenny and=20
Inverary
> for peals this year. :-)

Inverary, IMHO, show the importance of the tower and the speed of=20
ringing to the perceived quality of a ring. Inverary is a stone=20
clad, concrete tower, (I think!), and was quite "echoey" inside when=20
I rang there on 3 separate occasions in the 80s.=20=20

Though never anything other than a good ring, I felt that they were=20
better rung slowly, approaching 4hrs peal speed, as they became more=20
distinct at this speed. My perception was that rung a little quicker=20
than this the back bells had sounded again before the overtones of=20
the previous change had died away. This led to a slightly mushy sound.

Anyway, researching the best 10s is easy. Researching the worst 10s=20
needs much more dedication!
;-)

Mike

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20