[Bell Historians] Re: Hampstead

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Thu Jan 30 20:25:43 GMT 2003

Simon Farrar wrote:

> Weren't Hampstead taken out a long time ago? The church they were in has a
> fairly solid looking tower, but in general the building is now looking
> very neglected.

They were a Taylor ten of 1872, tenor 27-0-12 in C#. They were removed in
about 1982. The church, the masterpiece of S.S. Teulon, was for long
vitrually derelict but I believe has not been acquired by a trust dedicated
to its preservation. I think I read rairly recently somewhere that they had
found a use for it once it was repaired.

In 1993 the treble and 3rd were tuned to form the back two of a light 6-bell
chime at All Hallows, Hampstead. The remaining eight bells were scrapped,
although some of the metal was used in casting the remaining four bells for
the chime. I have (from Chris Pickford) the weighs of both the old ten and
the light 6-bell chime if anyone is interested.

Does anyone (Dickon?) have details of what remains in the tower - frame?