[Bell Historians] Re: Hampstead (St Stephen)

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Fri Jan 31 10:21:33 GMT 2003

"They were a Taylor ten of 1872, tenor 27-0-12 in C#. They were removed in
about 1982. The church, the masterpiece of S.S. Teulon, was for long
vitrually derelict but I believe has not been acquired by a trust dedicated
to its preservation. I think I read rairly recently somewhere that they had
found a use for it once it was repaired.

In 1993 the treble and 3rd were tuned to form the back two of a light 6-bell
chime at All Hallows, Hampstead. The remaining eight bells were scrapped,
although some of the metal was used in casting the remaining four bells for
the chime. I have (from Chris Pickford) the weighs of both the old ten and
the light 6-bell chime if anyone is interested.

Does anyone (Dickon?) have details of what remains in the tower - frame?"

I understand that the frame is still in the tower, although I have no more
details than that about it. The belfry floor has mainly collapsed, although
the ringing room ceiling I gather is intact. There is an awful lot of
pidgeon stuff up there!

I gather that when Taylors took the bells out, they were reported to have
basically hacked the place about. The bells were not exactly taken out
carefully and the wheels were smashed up. In fact, they had difficulty
getting the tenor out and phoned Whitechapel for help! Someone from
Whitechapel went to help them!

The future of the building is now somewhat more secure as a Nursery School
and Cultural Centre. £2m is being spent on the place, £1m of which has/is
being spent this year. They are keen to get the clock going again and
possibly to put a bell into the tower as a clock bell. The possibility of a
ring of bells being restored there in the future has not been ruled out
either.

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.