[Bell Historians] Re: Heaviest Three

Stuart Hutchieson stuart at h...
Thu Jul 3 19:09:27 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

If we are counting ex-three's then I believe Stretton (nr Burton) were at l=
east diatonic! All by Mears 1896 weighing 13.2.11, 17.2.9 and 25.1.10. I do=
n't have any hanging details but they were replaced by a light Taylor six i=
n 1960.=20

Stuart
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Cawley=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Heaviest Three

Some of the London towers do contain strange combinations of bells. As t=
o whether a ring of three is a ring of three, the answer is surely "If ther=
e are three bells hung for full-circle ringing", even if the frame is built=
for more.
=20=20=20
I think my all-time heaviest three would have been All Saints, Margaret S=
treet, London, that notable Anglo-Catholic shrine.

Treble 30.15/16" Eb

Second (i.e. 4th in 8) 36.15/16" Bb

Tenor: 53.7/8" Eb c.28-cwt

On all: CAST BY JOHN WARNER & SONS LONDON 1858. / (Royal Arms) / PATENT=20

They were hung for ringing in a frame for five; in 1966 the wheels were i=
n bits. The two vacant pits implied that the never added bells would have =
been 2 and 6 in 8.

They were replicas of 1,4, and 8 of E. B. Denison's Doncaster ring, and c=
ast to his specifications (at a significant date !); oddly the treble has s=
ix canons, whilst the two larger bells have Doncaster heads. The treble al=
so had a cast-in staple with the two others having independent ones.

About 1967, Mears broke the tenor up in the tower, so presumably there is=
an exact scrapping weight, and rehung the two smaller bells 'dead' on the =
five-bell frame. Thus passed the heaviest three.........(?)

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20