Heavy Threes

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Tue Jul 8 11:57:18 BST 2003

St John's Eastbourne: We rang there in October 1969 and did indeed have to
make holes in the floor. There were 3 low side pits only and there was
certainly not enough space for another 5 pits. The bells were flange-topped.

Highnam: The bells, 3-bell frame and fittings, are all Mears 1850 except
that the bearings were renewed by the same firm in the 1890s. I question
whether the tower is unsafe; the frame was not too bad either but was wedged
into the tower at head level. The fittings were not in bad shape in 1981
when I remember mending the treble wheel. The tenor had at least one loose
gudgeon I also remember. The weights and notes are:

Treble 5-0-2 F sharp
2nd 13-3-5 F sharp
Tenor 25-1-0 D

Christopher Dalton