[Bell Historians] Re: Preston 1934

David Cawley dave at d...
Thu Jul 10 11:05:04 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Francis Cheetham The Church Bells of Lancashire, Trans. Lancashire & Cheshi=
re Ant. Soc, Vol XXXVIII (1920): Manchester, 1922, pp 87-94 gives an accoun=
t of the eight bells at St John's which he visited in the period 1917-1920.=
They were then a complete ring of eight by Thomas Mears I 1814; inter alia=
celebrating the 4th June (2nd) FOUNDATION STONE OF THIS STEEPLE LAID (3rd)=
54TH GEORGE 3D THE KING'S BIRTH DAY (4th) ACCOUNT RECEIVED OF THE TREATY O=
F PEACE. At the time they all still retained their canons and hung in a wo=
oden frame, of which a plan is given. The whole church, including the tower=
(again) was rebuilt 1853-5.

The weights & diameters at the time were:=20
Treble 32" 7-0-4
2nd 33" 7-0-14
3rd 35" 8-0-14
4th 38" 9-2-9
5th 41" 12-0-7
6th 43" 13-1-23
7th 48" 18-0-7
Tenor 54" 25-1-14 D

Presumably canons removed and tuned to 24-0-18 when the trebles were added.

Before the above ring of 8, there was a ring of eight, tenot 20-cwt by Rudh=
all, 1711-12, which it was decided to recast - but probably not done - 1762=
; prior to 1711 a ring of five.

It will be noted that the ring was cast long before the Battle of Waterloo;=
and was first rung for Christmass 1815.

Finally, An Atlas of Bells (Ron Johnston) contains the magic phrase you've =
all been waiting for (p. 147): "The other rings of ten were provided.....IN=
1934 at Preston...."

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20