[Bell Historians] Re: Preston 1934

Andrew Bull a.bull at s...
Thu Jul 10 11:25:41 BST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: David Cawley [mailto:dave at d...]
Sent: 10 July 2003 11:05
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Preston 1934
=20
Francis Cheetham The Church Bells of Lancashire, Trans. Lancashire &
Cheshire Ant. Soc, Vol XXXVIII (1920): Manchester, 1922, pp 87-94 gives an
account of the eight bells at St John's which he visited in the period
1917-1920. They were then a complete ring of eight by Thomas Mears I 1814;
inter alia celebrating the 4th June (2nd) FOUNDATION STONE OF THIS STEEPLE
LAID (3rd) 54TH GEORGE 3D THE KING'S BIRTH DAY (4th) ACCOUNT RECEIVED OF TH=
TREATY OF PEACE. At the time they all still retained their canons and hung
in a wooden frame, of which a plan is given. The whole church, including th=
tower (again) was rebuilt 1853-5.
=20
The weights & diameters at the time were:=20
Treble 32" 7-0-4
2nd 33" 7-0-14
3rd 35" 8-0-14
4th 38" 9-2-9
5th 41" 12-0-7
6th 43" 13-1-23
7th 48" 18-0-7
Tenor 54" 25-1-14 D
=20
Presumably canons removed and tuned to 24-0-18 when the trebles were added.
=20
Before the above ring of 8, there was a ring of eight, tenot 20-cwt by
Rudhall, 1711-12, which it was decided to recast - but probably not done -
1762; prior to 1711 a ring of five.
=20
It will be noted that the ring was cast long before the Battle of Waterloo;
and was first rung for Christmass 1815.
=20
Finally, An Atlas of Bells (Ron Johnston) contains the magic phrase you've
all been waiting for (p. 147): "The other rings of ten were provided.....IN
1934 at Preston...."
=20
DLC
=20

This email originated externally and has been scanned by MessageLabs

Internet E-mail communications are not secure and therefore the
Khaos Technologies Group does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely
Khaos Technologies Group unless otherwise specifically stated.