Incised bells

jwalton22rg je.walton at v...
Fri Jul 11 13:43:52 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jimhedgcock"
<jameshedgcock at h...> wrote:
> According to my records Preston 1&2 were M&S 1934 and the back
eight
> 1814. I would hesitate to call the back eight modern Mears.
> From memory they were a pretty dismal lot, as are a good many
more!!!!
> ---

All this talk of Mears 1814 prompts me to raise a new subject - one
that has been exercsing my mind for some time. I have concluded it
is probably better to ask the experts on this list!

Wooburn were augmented from 6 to 8 in 1814 by the addition of two
Mears trebles (now retuned!)

At or around the same time, the second of the six (4/8) was replaced
with a bell inscribed "T Mears of London fecit 1813". This bell has
the name of the vicar and churchwardens incised at the waist.

Unfortunately the church records of the time have been lost or
destroyed, so I have no information on this particular period of the
tower. I know nothing of the earlier bell either, except that it
probably pre-dates the augmentation from 5 to 6 (1718) and may even
be as old as 1552 (five bells recorded in the tower).

My question is this - what is the likely sequence of events which
lead to the bell being incised with its inscription? Were stock
bells routinely cast at Whitechapel, or would this have been left
over from another project? Are there any other contemporary examples
of this practice?

I am only aware of one other incised bell in Buckinghamshire (at
Quainton, if I remember correctly) so how common are incised bells in
general?

John