[Bell Historians] Incised bells

David Bryant david at b...
Fri Jul 11 14:41:33 BST 2003

> I am only aware of one other incised bell in Buckinghamshire (at
> Quainton, if I remember correctly) so how common are incised bells in
> general?

Don't know in your specific case, but generally they are stock bells or
second-hand bells. The eight at St Laurence, York, were all incised with the
name of a saint by Taylot's in 1998-9, as the ring was made up of three new
bells and five seond-hand. The 11th at York Minster also has part of its
inscription incised. I don't know why for certain, but as it is the part
recording the donation of the bell, it seems quite likely that the donor
only came forward after the bell had been cast.