[Bell Historians] Incised bells

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Fri Jul 11 19:03:03 BST 2003

---
Some Taylor rings of 1936/7 have George V1 incised, Edward V111
having been removed because of the abdication - Winchester Cathedral,
Manchester Town Hall, Leicester Cathedral - and possibly others. The
only one I know of that retains Edward V111 on it is the tenor at
Anstey, Leics because they were cast for the Accession and not the
Coronation.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, s.ivin at n... wrote:

> John Walton:
>
> > My question is this - what is the likely sequence of events which
> > lead to the bell being incised with its inscription? Were stock
> > bells routinely cast at Whitechapel, or would this have been left
> > over from another project? Are there any other contemporary
examples
> > of this practice?
>
> Not exactly contemporary but the 1874 ring of six which were at
Oxford/Mary Mag