[Bell Historians] Bells of Ivinghoe, Bucks

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Jul 23 19:59:12 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

There are no actual records from Warners foundry, where bellfounding was re=
ally little more than a sideline of a much larger brassfounding and metalwo=
rking business. They cast something like 6000 to 7000 bells between 1850 a=
nd 1920. The best published accounts of the firm are in Elphick's Sussex, a=
nd in Bill Butler's book on Handbells

As far as Ivinghoe is concerned, I very much doubt if the old bells were "r=
ecycled". In those days old bells were more or less invariably recast, and =
finding new homes for sound old bells was extremely uncommon (though there =
are some instances)

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Joanna Wheatland=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:37 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Bells of Ivinghoe, Bucks

Hi,

I'm new to the list, and wonder if there's anyone out there who can help =
me.

I'm a ringer at Chippenham, Wilts, and am also interested in local histor=
y.

On a history list of which I am a member there was a bell enquiry which I=
'm passing on to you:

=20=20=20

Corrall asks: "Does any one know anything of the history of John Warner b=
ell foundry?

The bells of Ivinghoe, St Mary the Virgin, Bucks were cast there in 1875.

I'm told that the original 5 bells were augmented to 6, and that some of =
the bells were 'recycled and sent off to other churches'."

=20=20=20

Corrall wants to know if she could find records about her church's bells =
and where they were sent. Do records of John Warner's foundry still exist?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

=20=20=20

Joanna Wheatland

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20