[Bell Historians] bell from Lanark for sale on Ebay

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Jul 30 13:20:49 BST 2003

> Don't think JT ever cast any bells with Doncaster
> canons!

Let's set this one straight - there are no such things as 'Doncaster
canons'. A Doncaster Head is a specific type of canon substitute invented by
Lord Grimthorpe and first used at Doncaster, hence the name. A Doncaster
head has four short, thick arms spaced at 90 degrees to one another.
Taylor's, Warner's, and possibly others frequently used angular canons,
which I have sometimes seen erroneously desctibed as 'Doncaster canons'.
They're not!

Anyway, I agree that I've never come across a Taylor bell with a Doncaster
Head. During the second half of the nineteenth century, they tended to
mostly use either angular canons (which were often arranged radially on
bells cast in the 1860s), or cast the bells with flat tops, this
particularly being the case with the larger bells of rings.