[Bell Historians] re;Yorkshire Tails

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Thu Jun 5 09:46:31 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think that there is a slight
misunderstanding in this week's e-list round-up in the Ringing World, with a
reference to bells 'hung dead'. (If this is an editorial slip, my
apologies).

When I suggested that Yorkshire Tails dated from the days of dead-rope
ringing, I was assuming that, as the garter hole was above the headstock at
that time, only a 'back-stroke' pull was required. Hence the need for
something more comfortable to pull on at the end of the rope, the knob at
the end providing something to pull against.
Anne Willis