Salleys

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Jun 5 19:26:08 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I have already apologised to John off-list for what was a failed attempt on=
my part at being humorous. I certainly had no wish to be patronising or to=
"show anyone up".=20

At the risk of being really boring, I ran a quick word search on "salley" a=
nd find that I seem to have preferred this spelling in my own writings. I =
also found a few historical instances. One in a Taylor estimate of 1888 for=
"Ropes of best Italian hemp with worsted salleys 10/- each" and the other =
from the splendid if quirky writings of J.A. Parnell, the self-styled Gothi=
c Traveller, who wrote in 1815 of Queen Camel:

At Queen Camel in Somersetshire, at the Church a Peal of 6 Bell=
s, and the Tenor is 48 or 50 Cwt. in Key of C flat, and here they have 16 M=
en in the Band to Raise them. Changes here are out of the Question never an=
y can be Rung on them, nor have they any Tufting in their Bell Ropes (Salle=
ys) they do not make use of Salleying their Bells when Ringing, says the Go=
thic Traveller, John Alfred Parnell, Sheffield, Feby 10th 1815.

Should we tell the OED? Worth sharing for interest, rather than in justific=
ation!

CP